An Edgy Home Renovation - Part One, The Kitchen


I am sorry I have been a little quiet on the blog this week, I haven't really spoken about it before but I suffer from a chronic condition that causes uncomfortable, gritty, dry eyes that can be exacerbated by too much computer use. I was pretty bad last week and decided to relax my eyes for a few days to see if it would help. They are still not great but a little better so I wanted to forge ahead with a new blog post. I will be posting this interior renovation in several parts, allowing me to focus on separate areas. The original architecture is of the Victorian era, however its renovation is contemporary and edgy, using a clever, two tone, monochromatic colour scheme that gives it a modern feel, I love it and I hope you do too.

The original rear wall of the house has been removed to allow the flow from the kitchen to a conservatory like dining area at the end of this large, open plan space. The owners have chosen to mix traditional styles with a contemporary look. Wood, subway tiles and marble have been used in different areas of the kitchen, adding interesting textures. A touch of industrial style can be seen in the lighting and the rustic bases of the kitchen units. The exposed, painted brick to the right hand side, creates a 'warehouse' feeling. The stunning white Aga takes pride of place and works wonderfully with the bleached, wooden floors. The 'handleless' doors of the base units, keep a streamlined contemporary look.

I love the contrast of light and dark which work wonderfully in this large space. It is clear that careful thought has been put into planning and detail, including colour matching Le Cruset cookware and appliances and detail such as the small recessed herb garden in the centre of the central island. This is a kitchen that will never feel dull, it is light filled and spacious and the owners have respected the buildings heritage, yet created a wonderful, contemporary space. In fact, I am now thinking about exploring the possibility of using a textured wood for the back of my kitchen island when I start my own renovation.
.











I hope you have enjoyed a peek at this wonderful kitchen and been inspired. I will explore the living areas and bedrooms in my next post. Images are copyright to jjlocations. If your renovating or thinking of putting in a new kitchen, you may enjoy these earlier posts:'


No comments:

Post a Comment