DIY Daffodil vase - A Little Bit of Spring In Autumn

Yesterday I saw some gorgeous hyacinths growing in an oblong vase, but one look at the price tag made me realise I could easily make something similar at a much lesser cost. My mother came to live with me last month as sadly she is struggling with her battle with cancer, I thought a vase of "growing" flowers would brighten her room, so set about to create something similar.

I bought an oblong glass vase, then headed off to the garden centre to purchase some bulbs, however, instead of using hyacinths I bought small double daffodils. It was simple to quickly assemble the flowers. and my mother is constantly telling me how much she's enjoying watching the daffodils bloom. Anything that makes mum  happy right now makes me happy too.

 If your bulbs are in soil, gently wash the soil from the roots. Alternatively select bulbs with very little root system showing and only just beginning to sprout.




 I chose this oblong container as it was ideal for three bulbs




Fill to 3/4 of the bulbs height with water, do not fill too deep, just enough to cover the roots...and...




 Voila! you have your Spring/Autumn container.


You can see a little bit of my white rose painting "Serenity Rose" in the back ground, if your interested in art you can see my paintings "here", including the Serenity rose painting.


Note: It would be best to purchase your bulbs just as they are beginning to sprout, this way the enjoyment lasts longer. Try to choose nice fat, round bulbs, unfortunately its the end of season here and I had little to choose from hence the two crooked ones in the middle of my display. 
Remember to change your water daily

On a wet early winter's day in Auckland, I couldn't resist putting together a board of sunny yellow. I only wish my images were as pretty as these... still waiting for my new camera.


More container inspiration for bulbs can be seen in my post on "Paper whites & Hyacinths:"


Sharing this week with:

Monday:
Wednesday:
Friday:



 Lee oxo
   &
    Poppy
  
  
LinkShare_120x240v1

No comments:

Post a Comment